Sunday, July 5, 2009

A busy week

We have had a week full of fun! It started off Monday with swimming at a friend's house in their backyard - jumping off the trampoline into the water :) Tuesday we went to the park with friends and had a picnic. Wednesday we went down to the river here in town and played on the sandy shore - I can't believe we have NEVER done that before - we have lived here for 6 years! It was so fun - the weather was hot and the girls loved playing in the river.

Thursday we went to Leavenworth - a small Bavarian town up in the mountains. It was even hotter there. We went with the Mayor's mom and grandma, and uncle, aunt and cousins. My girls loved playing with their cousins - they really look up to Katelyn and had so much fun with Jared! Thanks guys!






On Friday, we got up at 5 am, (well, one of us got up a little before 5am and the other well after that), picked up PawPaw and headed over the mountains to Royal City to pick cherries. Oh my goodness - we have so many cherries! I wish I would have taken a picture of all that we picked! Bing's, Rainier's and pie cherries. YUM!


Saturday, Marmar and Booboo and I canned cherries. We made 6 quarts of super yummy cherry pie filling, the lighter red bottles (that's all???? I picked those things forever!) and 42 quarts of bottle Bing cherries, the darker bottles. Boy were we tired and hot! In the evening, the Mayor grilled some steaks and we had a great spread for dinner and then went to a friend's house to watch some fireworks. The girls didn't go to bed til 11 and were so exhausted! Little Dude fell asleep as soon as she layed down, Little Bit took a little convincing.
I decided we needed to try a cherry pie with the Rainier cherries and well - it was just ok. Not nearly as good as the bottled pie filling we made. I think I will try again, and alter the recipe a little. Today we delivered cherries to a few friends and we still have oodles of cherries left! What else can one make with cherries????













1 comment:

McBrides said...

I read somewhere that you can dry cherries...