today the girls and I went to get flu shots. I had arranged to have backup, but due to the crazy rain we've had over the past couple days - Marmar wasn't able to get out of her house. The road had flooded and left her stranded at home. Well, the girls weren't crying on the way there, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad. (Little Dude has cried about it for the past three days). Little Bit said "mom, I'm not going to cry". As soon as we got into the office -just the waiting room, not even the exam room, Little Dude began to quiver. My original plan was to go in with Little Bit and the two of us get shots while Little Dude was int he waiting room with Marmar and then take her out and Little Dude come in. Well, that wasn't happening so all three of us went in and I went first. I hate shots. The sight of a needle makes me want to pass out. I really DON'T like needles, the shot isn't so bad, it's the sight of the needle. Anyway - back to the story, Little Dude began to cry at this point, I said - it's ok, I'm not hurt. and I wasn't. But the needle was just sitting there....ugh, I put on a brave face and got my shot. I said who wants to go next and they both started to cry. Little Bit was up next I decided. Remember you said you weren't going to cry! She was terrified. Finally I got her to show the nurse her big girl underwear and held her leg down and the nurse gave her the shot - quick it was over. a big hug, a tic tac and 3 strawberry shortcake stickers and she was ok. Little Dude on the other hand - well she is much stronger than I imagined. The nurse told her that she had two options, sit on my lap or she would go get another nurse to hold her down. (that didn't really help the situation - she just cried harder)Finally I got her coat off and manged to show her shoulder to the nurse and she got the shot. She kept screaming afterwards. It was so not fun. On the way out the lady at the front desk said "you two were so good, I didn't hear a thing" with a wink at me. Yep - she heard the whole thing. At least it wasn't as bad as the peeing in a hat last year - that incident had me in tears. So now we are all vaccinated against the flu. A friend said - "is it really worth it?" I don't know.Next year, the Mayor will take them, I will not go. I will stay home. Oh, we stopped and got donuts on the way home...crazy yummy donuts.
Friday, November 7, 2008
It's wasn't pretty
today the girls and I went to get flu shots. I had arranged to have backup, but due to the crazy rain we've had over the past couple days - Marmar wasn't able to get out of her house. The road had flooded and left her stranded at home. Well, the girls weren't crying on the way there, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad. (Little Dude has cried about it for the past three days). Little Bit said "mom, I'm not going to cry". As soon as we got into the office -just the waiting room, not even the exam room, Little Dude began to quiver. My original plan was to go in with Little Bit and the two of us get shots while Little Dude was int he waiting room with Marmar and then take her out and Little Dude come in. Well, that wasn't happening so all three of us went in and I went first. I hate shots. The sight of a needle makes me want to pass out. I really DON'T like needles, the shot isn't so bad, it's the sight of the needle. Anyway - back to the story, Little Dude began to cry at this point, I said - it's ok, I'm not hurt. and I wasn't. But the needle was just sitting there....ugh, I put on a brave face and got my shot. I said who wants to go next and they both started to cry. Little Bit was up next I decided. Remember you said you weren't going to cry! She was terrified. Finally I got her to show the nurse her big girl underwear and held her leg down and the nurse gave her the shot - quick it was over. a big hug, a tic tac and 3 strawberry shortcake stickers and she was ok. Little Dude on the other hand - well she is much stronger than I imagined. The nurse told her that she had two options, sit on my lap or she would go get another nurse to hold her down. (that didn't really help the situation - she just cried harder)Finally I got her coat off and manged to show her shoulder to the nurse and she got the shot. She kept screaming afterwards. It was so not fun. On the way out the lady at the front desk said "you two were so good, I didn't hear a thing" with a wink at me. Yep - she heard the whole thing. At least it wasn't as bad as the peeing in a hat last year - that incident had me in tears. So now we are all vaccinated against the flu. A friend said - "is it really worth it?" I don't know.Next year, the Mayor will take them, I will not go. I will stay home. Oh, we stopped and got donuts on the way home...crazy yummy donuts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I took Jordan in for her 6 month appointment which, if you remember, includes getting shots. Just before the doctor leaves he asks if the girls would like flu shots. I think for a small moment and say yes. Then I start fast talking to Taylor who is with me about how about the shot if she doesn't cry we'll go and get ice cream. The nurse comes in and I elect Taylor to go first. (Wouldn't have been a good idea for her to see Jordan cry!) She did great. Although she got a really sad look and wanted to cry but I kept her distracted! No crying! Then, we had to go to 3 places to find ice cream! I think there must have been a run on it that day! (PS Jordan cried ... she did get like 5 shots afterall)
Post a Comment